Japan Rail Pass Conditions
- The Japan Rail Pass can be used only within its validity period.
- The Japan Rail Pass cannot be exchanged for other types of passes or tickets. Nor can the validity period of the pass be changed.
- The Japan Rail Pass is valid for reserved and non-reserved ordinary car travel on all Japan Railways (JR) Group Shinkansen “bullet trains” (except for the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” services), limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (Green Car passes are valid for Green Car travel) and the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit system).
- The pass is also valid for travel on the JR Miyajima Ferry between Miyajima and Miyajimaguchi Station, buses operated by JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Tohoku Bus, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus, and the Tokyo Monorail. However, please note that JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for travel on JR Group buses that travel on expressways and some local bus routes.
- The Japan Rail Pass is not valid for travel on the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” Shinkansen services (including non-reserved seats on both).To board those services, you must pay in full for the basic fare and limited express charge.
- The routes covered by JAPAN RAIL PASS are subject to change.
- When using Japan Rail Pass to travel on JR Group transport services that extend through lines operated by companies other than JR Rail, JR Miyajima Ferry, JR Bus (excluding some routes such as expressway bus lines), and the Tokyo Monorail, you must pay separately for the fare and other charges of the distance traveled on such sections. However, no separate fare or charges are required when you just pass through the following segments without stopover.
(1) The Aoimori Railway between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, or Hachinohe and Noheji. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains)
(2) The IR Ishikawa Railway between Kanazawa and Tsubata. (Excluding travel on trains other than JR lines extending beyond that segment)
(3) The Ainokaze Toyama Railway between Toyama and Takaoka. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains) (Excluding travel on trains other than JR lines extending beyond that segment) You must purchase a Liner ticket in addition to the PASS to use “Ainokaze Liner.”
(The details shown above are current as of April 2019. They are subject to change.)